Friday, October 10, 2014

The Valley of Amazement



The Valley of Amazement is another one of Amy Tan novels. I love this author and her The Joy Luck Club was so good that I have no problem grabbing any one of her novels knowing that I'll have a good story. This one is no exception. Apparently it is her most researched book and the background is the courtesan houses in Shanghai before the first world war.

The story is about two women (mother and daughter) and it is a large scaled one. We start with the daughter and how she ends up being a courtesan and how she gets out of it. At the first 16 years she lives with her mother who owns a courtesan house. Then they involuntarily separate and we continue with the daughter. Then at some point we return to the mother but to the time before she becomes a madam and we get to read about how she got pregnant and chose her path in life.

It was a good read and I've shed a few tears in the end but I didn't like it as much as her other novels (I have read them all). So I'll recommend if you have read and liked her but it may not be a good starting point to read this writer.


No comments:

Post a Comment