Friday, October 10, 2014

Love And Other Drugs


Love And Other Drugs Well, I didn't see this one coming. I heard about it when it came out but was in no hurry to seek it out, thinking I'd catch it on TV sometime. And I did, the end of it when in U.S.A some time (can't remember which city) but chose not to complete since I wanted to watch from the beginning. Well I got the dvd and expected the usual rom com. It was different, more genuine and I liked the characters and their interactions so much that I have found myself in tears at the end. And I actually needed a tissue by the time it was over.

The story is about a womaniser drug sales rep and a woman who is at the early stages of Parkinson's disease. She is only 26 though and she used to be painter. These two start having sex without any other expectations but of course start to fall in love (as usually happens). The conflict here is her disease and how it will render her helpless at the later stages of it. Her partner would need to care for her. He loves her and at first thought he'll be able to obtain a cure but there is none and when she realised that he is not up for the not so brignt future, she breaks up with him. More like releases him of guilt of breaking up with her. I liked the no bullshit approach of the characters. The way they see right through each other. And how the nice guy in him comes out as he starts to like her more and more.

The two leads were amazing. Jake Gylenhaal is an actor I like but not actively follow. Anne Hathaway is someone I always liked (never got how people came to love to hate her so much at some point). She is a great actor and they have amazing chemistry and were able to empower each other's performances, it was a delight to watch them. There were a lot of close up shots to their expressive faces. Just the way I like it.

Also this one started off with steamy intimate scenes and developed into emotional ones and  how it progressed was pleasing to me. All in all, it is a keeper as far as I'm concerned and I liked it so much that I wanted to watch it right after it ended. God I love when this happens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment