Thursday, July 17, 2014

Rouge

Rouge is yet another bargain bin purchase. Not one for monster films, I only got it because I liked the director's first film Wolf Creek (great horror film). And read good things about this one at horror sites (but sadly it is not very well known). And last night I was exhausted and was thinking that I'll probably fall asleep during this one too. But it ended up a very good film. First off I like Michael Vartan (and think him very handsome), and Rada Mitchell and Sam Worthington. And the rest of the cast were all great.

The unfortunate tourists who took the wildlife cruise in Australia to observe the salt water crochodiles in their natural habitat (yeah I too went to observe the sharks in their natural habitat in Hawaii and even though I was in a cage, I ended up being terrified, I'll not make the same mistake again) and the tour was going on just as expected with a variety of tourists with different habits and our protagonist Pete (a travel writer from USA) just wanting to get the whole thing over with while slightly flirty with the beautiful captain. They were hamlessly harrassed by the captain's boyfriend and his friend but otherwise the trip was going to end without incident when they see a stress flare somewhere ahead. And since they were the only boat, the captain felt obligated to inspect. And just as it would in real life some tourist were actually opposed to the idea of going there! Anyway all were sushed by the captain who said that what would they think if they were the one sending the flare and no one came to help. Unfortunately it was too late when they went there and all they could see was a capsized remains of a boat without any living (or dead) people around. And then a crocodile attacked them. They were forced to an island which will be underwater when the tide comes and they need to get out of there and fast.

No sleep during this one. It was intense and interesting. Very well made with the kind of clean cinematography that I particularly like.

This one is probably worth a rewatch. And I'm looking forward this director's other film Wolf Creek 2 (which is getting a very good buzz) 

No comments:

Post a Comment