Thursday, July 31, 2014

Pain and Gain

Photo Credit http://opionator.files.wordpress.com/

Pain and Gain I didn't expect to like it as much as I did. Michael Bay is not among my favorite directors but he has a certain style that I sometimes like (not in films such as Transformers, I didn't even bother with the third one) and this one had it.
It is a true story of three body builders (two of them ex-cons) kidnapping a local businessman and after illegally making him transfer all his assets to them, it didn't take at least two of them to spend the considerable amount of money and the three attempt to do the same to another businessman. Things go wrong and they murder this one and his girlfriend.
The story is chilling and not only the stupidity of the trio but also the incompetence of the legal forces. At least they came through at the end but two people has died.

The film prefers to approach the dumbness of the trio and the incompetence of the police forces in a comedic manner. At one point we see one of the guys grilling hands and feet of the victims (in an attempt to erase their fingerprints) and there is a caption at the corner of the screen reminding us that "it is still a true story". This approach probably didn't go well with the viewers and I don't this film had a good box office. To be honest I didn't mind. Not that I laughed through any part of it but it was refreshing to see evil as just stupid as it really is. Too many films/TV shows depict it as genius, smart etc. But it is not. It is stupid.

So I can't really recommend it in good conscience but I was entertained.

No comments:

Post a Comment