Tuesday, August 19, 2014

The Road






The Road was one of the books I have bought in San Francisco (great city for secondhand book stores). Cormac McCarthy, I have heard about of course. I even "looked inside" Blood Meridien at Amazon, after No Country for the Old Men- the film-.
So this one is awarded a Pulitzer prize. And it is a dystopian novel (thanks to The Wind-Up Girl and Margaret Atwood, I'm into dystopian novels now).

Now this one turned out to be sneaky. First off the prose is deceptively simple but I have found myself checking the dictionary while reading. And some of the observations/insights to human nature were spot on. There was a part where The Man remembers people burning snakes and he thinks that people want to destroy the symbols of evil (they can't destroy the real thing). I actually wanted to take a photo of that passage but couldn't locate it as I was trying to catch the shuttle to work.

Also the story telling is sneaky. I thought I was bored with it while reading throughout the first pages but when I had to stop reading I was not only reluctant but also worried for the Boy and the Man.  Now I didn't see that coming, at all.

I don't know whether I'll continue to seek reading this author but this novel is highly recommended to anyone who like to read books.  

No comments:

Post a Comment