Friday, August 29, 2014

The Memoirs of Lady Hyegyong


The Memoirs of Lady Hyegyong is a book that was recommended at a korean drama website I frequent dramabeans . It is written by the official wife of Crown Prince Sado. He died in 17th century Joseon Korea in a rather tragic and mysterious way. There is going to be a sageuk drama of this incident (starring Han Suk Kyu) so I wanted to know more about what happened. And despite not being a lover of non fiction books, I was captivated with this one. Translation is very good, clear and the prose is flowing. Of course there are lots of lamentations since Lady Hyegyong (this is her title not her name) has suffered a lot and many of her relations died before her. I have found out a lot about the time period and this wetted my apetite to seek more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment