Thursday, August 7, 2014

Night Film

Night Film was on my radar for quite some time and I was hoping to read it for free (a colleague has amazon prime and sometimes allows me to use the free stuff) but as soon as I saw it on a book shelf I was not able to resist. And purchased it brand new (included in a bunch of end of ramadan treats for myself).

I liked it very much. Suspenseful, gripping and whatever you want to add to make it sound like a good suspense novel is apt.

Spoilers!



Now the book is about an investigative free lance journalist who was very successful but ended up being professionally shamed after he made public of his intention to investigate a very famous (Oscar winnning) director and sort of mentioned that he is not yet specified bad stuff. The tip he received was that he picked up children's items (toys, discarded clothing etc.) late in the night from parks, schoolyards etc. The director Stanislav Cordova, is a recluse who doesn't have a readily accesible photo (Oscar was picked up by his long time assistant, also very elusive). So his daughter kills herself and the journalist decides to give the investigation another go.

As a lover of cinema, the thing I loved best is the world building. I actually wanted to watch the filmography of this director. The films all sounded very good.

And the book had interesting visuals such as
 Right after we were mentioned about the photo of Ashley Cordova, we are treated with it in the next page.
I remember first seeing and loving this style in Ed McBain novels (it was just some police forms and handwriting) and this one takes it up a notch. There are forms, photos and even

websites where our journalist and his sidekicks search for info on Cordova.

I highly recommend this one and am thinking to check out the first novel of Marisha Pessl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment