Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Barfi!

Barfi! is one of those Indian films where whimsy is mixed with plagirising along with melodrama etc. I knew it, yet I still got it from the bargain bin who knows why. I like Ranbir Kapoor, the male lead, but not enough to get every film he has acted in. I don't like Priyanka Chopra, who tries hard and I appreciate her efforts but she just doesn't have it. And the new girl was not bad. The story is of deaf and mute Barfi (Murphy but everyone calls him Barfi) and the two loves of his life. First he meets and falls for Shruti, an engaged girl who falls for him nonetheless but in the end doesn't have enough love or courage to follow her heart and as he is nursing his heartbreak, his father becomes really ill and as he is dealing with financial problems to get his father treated, his second love enters his life. Jhilmil is an autistic adult who needs being looked after and she imprints (for the lack of a better word) on Barfi. So they ran away and live together and as Shurti comes back into Barfi's life (she is married now but not happy) Jhilmil goes out of it.

This film blatantly takes scenes and ideas from The Notebook and Sympathy for the Vengeance. It pays homage to Charlie Chaplin in his capable male lead. And it made me cry a lot but not good tears. I was sort of unhappy with myself crying over this film.  

No comments:

Post a Comment