Tuesday, June 9, 2015

The Bride

The Bride ok I'm at a romance novel kick right now and ruined the project (of finishing most of the books and films and shows I have before purchasing new ones) by ordering some at a second hand book shop on line. Anyway I have purchased second hand The Secret since The Bride was not available. Well I loved The Secret and got The Bride on Kindle when in Kauai. Well it turns out that I liked The Bride but liked The Secret better (unlike a lot of people on goodreads).

First off this is one of those romance novels that objectifies the Scottish men (according to wikipedia this is the correct way to call them - rather than Scotch that is-) and there is a reason why these books are a very popular sub sub genre in historical romance sub genre of romance novels genre - wheew. There is something about them. For me I'm not into that macho, kilt wearing, outdoorsy, heather smelling epitomes of manhood. But two of my favorite actors Evan McGregor and James McAvory are Scottish so there must be something to it. The common thing about these novels are (and I'm including The Outlander although it is sort of one notch above the rest) gruff men who are mysoginist but the heroes have golden hearts and smart heads and in the end they fall for the heroine so much that they will do anything for her. Julie Garwood does not break the mold. As for her heroine she chose a type that is very pretty and capable but kind of clumsy and awkward in an odd way. She is a healer (looks like that is the way to the Scottish man's heart) and she is one of those kind hearted cute women who are secretly competent and she unifies Scotland in the end too! Oh there is a murderer on the loose but I'm not going to write anything about that side plot - this is clearly not a mystery or an action adventure novel.

Apart from loving Barbra Cartland  and old Mills and Boons(side effects of reading everything and anything as a child) I'm not very expert in this jungle of romance but I have my preferences and it seems that I'm not very much into "cuteness" jokes and quirks are alright but it seems I need my angst and in high doses. The Bride was too cute for me but having just written it I read it very easily and have found myself returning to it every chance I got.

So this is not a must read but at least a decent one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment