Thursday, January 15, 2015

The Earthsea Quartet - The Tombs of Atuan

The Tombs of Atuan is the second book in the Earthsea quartet. It is a wonder that nothing at all remained with me from the previous reading. Now I'm enthralled and force myself to leave the novel(s) and continue with the viewing project.

This time our hero is not Ged but a young girl named Tenar who is taken from her family at the age of 5 believed to be the reencarnation of a priestess of an ancient religion. It is only toward the end she meets Ged who sets her free but breaks her heart by not staying with her.

I love the prose and the characters. The thing I like best in fiction is the good guys. And Ged is a great good guy. Forged by the fires of vanity, pride and ignorance he battles with demons and comes out wounded but victorious. I love it that the novels' serious tone so far and that the heroine is such a likable person who doesn't shy away from her own demons.

Anyway highly recommended. 

No comments:

Post a Comment