Thursday, January 15, 2015

Snowpiercer




Snowpiercer Just as I was starting my viewing project, the films I have already ordered arrived one after another. So I started with Snowpiercer. Bong Joon Ho is a director whose filmography I have watched and not only liked but sometimes am in awe of (Memories of Murder, Mother). This one I was eager to watch but waited hopelessly for the dvd price to go down and when it did, I grabbed it.

Mr. Bong did it again. He made a brilliant film. Great science fiction story of the only survivors on earth constantly travelling around the earth on a self sustained train invented by an evil genius. This is what remained of the humanity and it is sadly not very different than how we live now. There are poor people at the back and the rich ones at the front with the rich ones using the poor ones as they see fit. Of course they plan a revolt and their objective is to reach to the very front of the train and take the machine thus control the train.

The film's subject matter is bleak but there are lots of visual and thematic breaks of humour (which is particular to S.Korean films I have seen) scattered throughout. This is not an action film but the action scenes were really good. It was nice to see the cast doing great too.

All in all a complete winner and highly recommended.  

No comments:

Post a Comment