Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Fasten Your Seatbelts (Allaciate le Cinture)

Photo credit:http://www.cosfordcinema.com/


Fasten Your Seatbelts is the first Ferzan Özpetek film I have seen. This Turkish director who lives and makes films in Italy is very popular here but since I have never really liked Italian films (yeah yeah Il Postino was ok but nothing I wanted to see again and I still have not finished La Dolce Vita) and Italian language seems to scrape my ears. And I have a tendency to dislike the popular literature and film, I can not explain why since I love pop music, want to watch popular TV shows etc. Anyway once again I was so wrong (yeah I didn't read Harry Potter until after the fourth book is relased!!!) This film really moved me not only with its visual pleasantness (yeah many close up shots and that clean cinematography) its storytelling, we cut in at a crucial point to a love story and fast forward to 13 years and at the end of the film we turn back at the crucial point and continue for some time. I loved this.

The actors were all very good but I sensed that Mr.Ozpetek was directing them well. There was a certain artificial quality of the cast that would normally be a turn off but not here.

And you'd think this is a romantic love story but no, it is more of a slice of life a woman and people around her who love her in different ways. It was really a treat and I have shed many many tears.

Now this happy viewer will continue to seek more films of this director (and he has done a lot of films- yay). 

No comments:

Post a Comment