Tuesday, January 13, 2015

The Earthsea Quarter - A Wizard of Earthsea

The Earthsea Quartet 
About 14 years ago one of my managers gave me the Turkish translations of these (after seeing me read The Lord of the Rings) and I read them but they didn't register. I don't think it was the translation, I just was not ready for these at that time. Later came that horrible film directed by Hayao Miyazaki's son Goro. I remember that the novelist Ursula Le Guin voiced her dislike of the adaptation.

And when I saw the above book at the bookstore (at the time I thought I has some free points left), it felt like the right thing to give them another try.




A Wizard of Earthsea aaaannnnd I was completely into it right away. I loved the prose, uncluttered and economic. The story and the hero. These ones deserve a better adaptation to film (only so that more people would be interested). Ged is a hero to my own heart. Struggling and losing to vanity, pride and inferiority complex but finding that he is wrong, wins agains all of those and more in the end. I liked the Earthsea AU and was completely into it so much so that I have actually stopped doing anything else and read on (how I love when it happens).

Unless something drastic will happen during the other novels, I plan on reading more of this writer.


No comments:

Post a Comment