Friday, January 16, 2015

His Secret Life (Il Fate Ignoranti)

Il Fate Ignoranti (Literal Translation is Ignorant Fairies) is the second film of Ferzan Özpetek (who must be a big deal since his name is larger than the film's name on the dvd). After Fastern Your Seatbelts I was cautiously optimistic and was not dissapointed. Far from it, I loved the film despite its obvious failings. There is something in this director's films that appeals to my sentiment. Yes they are melodramatic, yes there is a certain banality (unintentional) and yes the film visual print quality was not good (I blame the dvd since the other film I watched was very good) and there was a certain misplaced Almodovar resemblence (but very softly) however I laughed and cried and really liked the two main characters. One is a widow whose husband of 15 years dies at a car crash (similar to Brad Pitt in Meet Joe Black) and the other is the said husband's lover of 7 years. The lover is played by an actor called Stefano Accorsi and I liked him very much. After the woman finds about this she and he became close in their grief and later end up as good friends. Not only him but she befriends his oddball group of gay men and straight women who are interesting and quirky in their own way.


I purchased one other film from him and now I'm thinking of getting two more (after watching the trailers on the dvd)

No comments:

Post a Comment