Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Flags of Our Fathers


Flags of Our Fathers is one of Clint's that I was not really that eager to view. That is not because of the reviews since I really like Mr.Eastwood both on and off screen directing and script writing. But war is definitely not my thing. However, having read Winter of the World made me want to check out how Clint filmed the war in Pasific. The story is surrounded by the war in Iwo Jima and how three soldiers were recruited to contribute to the war effort by riding high on public feelings of one photo (the one on the dvd) and live advertising for war bonds. We see things through the son of one of them who tells the story of this advertising campaign and its effects on the participants. Interpersed with memories of the war.

I liked it as I like all Eastwood films but this one will not have a special place in my heart. Not becauce of war but I didn't like the structure and it was disjointed. And the actors were fine but not really impressive. Clint works best with naturally talented actors (Meryl Streep, Morgan Freeman, Hillary Swank, himself, Gene Hackman) and he is not really and actors' director (although everyone likes working with him) focused on the performance.

All in all this is not really recommended unless you are into the genre/time period etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment