Thursday, December 13, 2012

The Yellow Sea

The Yellow Sea  I don't know what made me decide on this one last night. I was not in a particularly good mood and pretty much guessed this film was going to be depressive. It is a good action film though so I thought I'd give it a go. Loved it but in the end it is a film you only want to watch once (something similar to I Saw the Devil in that regard).
Ha Jung Woo is a handsome man and a good actor too. Well despite the fact that he had to deglam for the role, he still was so good looking that I wished some other person would act the part, someone not so good looking, maybe Shin Ha Kyun would have been better (apart from the georgeousness, it was a flawless performance). Kim Yon Suk on the other hand was excellent. It is a good, showy part and he made the most of it without going overboard. I compared his performance to Choi Min Sik's - since some scenes brought to mind the famous corridor hammer fight, although Park Chan Wook is a much more style conscious visually than Na Hong Jin - and I have to say I like this ajusshi better than Choi (but I never really liked him, maybe because the first film I watched him in was Shiri and the next Failan both unlikable characters).

Anyway the action was really good, gripping so much so that I have found I was gripping my duvet throughout a chase scene which started of at a dock, followed by inside a ship, than sea, than TIR then car. Now I really liked the directors previous film The Chaser and I knew not to expect a happy ending from this, although it still hurt in the end.

All in all this is recommended if you like action, want to see what's going on when you are watching action, prefer realistic looking action to stylised version (I like both) and don't mind blood and nudity.

No comments:

Post a Comment