Monday, July 13, 2009

Ikigami and War & Peace

Ikigami (2008) Directed by Takimoto Tomoyuki, adapted from Mase Motorou's manga by Takimoto Tamayuki, Akimatsu Sasaki and Yatsu Hiroyuki

This film hit me with all its unexpected melodrama. I checked the plot up which is how the government injects everybody when they enter elementary school and one of thousand kids is inserted with a capsule that will kill him in the appointed time (somewhere between 20 to 25 years old). The victims receive a notice called ikigami 24 before to sort their affairs out. I was expecting some kind of an action thriller but the whole thing is about the thoughts and lives of the victims. It really produced tears and I was captivated with the whole thing. The actors were good the cinematography generic with some nice compositions that show up at unexpected times.

War and Peace still captivates me and now the battle of Borodin is just started. The night before Pierre and Andrey met and talked about war. Andrey remembered Natasha and could not sleep since he still misses her and probably his happiness when he was with her. I do agree that what Natasha did was bad, but everyone makes mistakes and she was unexperienced and let her passions conquer her feelings and reason. Now she regrets what she has done. And even though Prince Andrey is my literary crush and I really want him for myself, I hope that he and Natasha will somehow end up together. And I'm so glad that I have not read anything about this novel since not knowing adds to the pleasure (also I realise how I totally forgot everything I learned about world history!)

No comments:

Post a Comment