Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Gizli Anların Yolcusu - End, The Saint Zita Society, Jane Eyre (2011)

Last night I was not going to watch anything but my shipment has arrived with new goodies in it so I have decided to give Jane Eyre a go





Well it is one of my all time favorite novels and it is not that hard to adapt (albeit never in the same level with the book) but this one ended up being a failure as far as I'm concerned.

The visuals and the soundtrack were both very good but in cinema they are not enough to make it good storytelling. The script was disjointed, the moments that may not have been that important to the plot but crucial in order to understand the character were passed by in favour of the more dramatic incidents in the novel. Sadly these do not affect the viewer that much if they just float about aimlessly.

The female lead Mia Wasikowska's performance was not bad, unfortunately it failed in comparison to the other, better "Janes" in the history of the adaptation (my favorite performance is Charlotte Gainsborough's). As for Rochester, he is not a male character I particularly care for and I wouldn't have minded anyone in this role but Mr.Fassbender's (good actor the he is) performance didn't do anything to me, especially in combination with the tight & shiny costumes they made him wear. Zero chemisty among the leads did not help either.

All in all this was not a successful purchase.

I have started to read Ruth Rendell's The Saint Zita Society.

 Ruth Rendell is a writer whose books I always liked to read. Some of them (A Judgement in Stone, The Bridesmaid) I loved. This so far is going good.

Gizli Anların Yolcusu ended predictably. It is a sad story and I keep thinking of it.



No comments:

Post a Comment