Monday, June 11, 2012

Somekind of Wonderful, The Skin I Live In, Meet The Parents 3, Sprin Waltz Eps 1-9

Somekind of Wonderful Of all the films written by John Hughes this is the one I liked best. I do like Eric Stolz and the other two female leads were very good in their parts. It is no wonder that I actually cried in this one.

The Skin I Live In This is one of those films I was glad that I stayed away from spoilers. It was so good the first time but as with almost all Almodovar films this one is a keeper anyway. And I usually do not care for soundtracks of the films but this one shot right at my heart. Full of strings and I plan on seeking it out.

Meet The Parents 3 The only parts that actually made me laugh were the ones with Owen Wilson.

Meanwhile My Cousin Rachel is simply excellent. I think I may even like it better than Rebecca. Daphe Du Maurier is great at conveying sinister in her prose.

The real viewing highlight of my weekend though is Spring Waltz, the last of the season series. And so far it is my favorite. God I forgot how the visual sensibilities of this PD appeal to me and how I do like a slow paced melodrama. This one is even better because the children version is usually integrated into the adult version episodes. The leads are all good. Now Daniel Henney is a fine looking man, not really a good actor but this role is tailor made (and I suspect it literally was) for him. The secondary girl is normal looking but suitably jelaous with a hint of mental. The main lead is broody and moody but with a smile that lights up the screen - I even like his hair do!. Main girl is the angel type who is innocent, good and kind also had a serious illness in the past. At the end of episode 9 they hint at future parental disappoval too. All the season clichés I know and love. And how I missed them! But more importantly the visuals are so so good. The best in the season series so far and the soundtrack is adorable (it helps if you like American folk song Clementine, I do). All in all this is like seeing a cherished friend who was away for a long time.



No comments:

Post a Comment