Monday, June 25, 2012

Fifty Shades Darker - End, The Beautiful and Damned, Peppermint Candy, Merantau, Hollywood Homicide

This weekend was not very bad. I was not able to check out Geum Soon but otherwise everything worked out perfectly.

I have finally finished Fifty Shades of Darker and once again I felt happy that I didn't purchase the last book. My S&M fiction interest would have compelled me to read that one if it was under my hand. There are two people in the book club who have not finished The Black Tulip yet so I don't think I need to start our second book (Nana by Emile Zola, and for the sole reason that these two are under the same cover, some kind of cheap classics deal) soon. I'd rather wait until people read some chapters.

Meanwhile I have started The Beautiful and Damned by Scott Fitzgerald and it feels wonderful to read and enjoy such perfect prose. I was going to start Edith Wharton's The Reef but seeing my started purchased the Turkish translation of Tender is the Night made me start Fitzgerald and I'm seriously happy that I did. Perfect, simply perfect. God bless his soul for making me feel such joy. The joy of reading a good writer.

Now on to the films


Hollywood Homicide I can see how this one didn't have good box office despite the actors actually giving good performances (I always like Harrison Ford, a hottie and a good actor too), Josh Harnett is not as even in my eyes but he was good in this one. But the screenplay was not very interesting, nor fun. Everyjoke fell flat.

Peppermint Candy now this is a film I have been longing to watch during my Korean film craze. Unfortunately for some reason I couldn't get my hands on it and now that I finally saw it, not really impressed. I actually like the director Lee Chang Dong's films but Oasis and You Are My Sunshine are truly powerful and fare better in comparison to Pepperming Candy. Maybe if I was not that jaded a viewer...

Merantau Now this film made this jaded viewer very very happy. Not only the action scenes were very well done (where you can actually see what is going on) the drama of it all was also effective. To be honest I was never that into Tony Jaa and Ong Bak craze. I truly prefer films like this one. Never heard of Silat (Indonesian martial art) before this film but it definitely looks good on screen. I have also watched The Raid from the same director and he is two out of two as far as I'm concerned.

It is not only so very hot but humid too so the weekend pretty much was just lounging from one sofa on another.

No comments:

Post a Comment