Friday, September 22, 2017

Mad Men

Photo credit: www.amc.com

Mad Men turned out to be very very good. So much so that since Netflix only had the 5 seasons I have watched the last 2 on line at a pirated site. I figured it would not be considered stealing since it is an old show now.

I loved it from the first season but for some reason didn't follow it up. This time though I was definitely hooked. The characters are interesting and I would have put it on top three if didn't end like that.

SPOILERS

First off all poor Betty, everybody smoked like a chimney but only she got the bad. I always felt that the show was cold towards her. Despite having similar inabilities as Don we inadverdantly sympathise with Don while dislike Betty.

I didn't like Peggy's ending either. The whole thing felt a bit forced for some reason (no fault of the actors) Peggy deserved a lot better in my opinion.

Roger got a very good deal. This man always ended up winning for some reason. He is not a bad person but I never really liked him. And I like Julia Ormond and how lovely she aged. Great lady and it was nice to see her character happy.

Now Pete also got it very good. Despite not being a very decent person, Pete is one of the characters I like best on the show and I was very happy for him.

Joan is someone I like too despite not agreeing with some of her choices. I loved it that she ended up a successful businesswoman and she didn't fall for the temptations of a good, lazy life with a nice man on hand, her child's future secure. She likes working and she chose to work. Good for her!

And Don. I don't agree with his ending. I mean I loved the way he realised that other people too feel the way he feels but his reaction was somehow felt fake. This man is not someone who can open up, but in the end, the great Don Draper (Dick) ended up in a hippy retreat Ohm'ing his way to happiness.

Despite the below par ending, I still loved the show and had a great time watching it. I highly recommend.




No comments:

Post a Comment