Monday, March 4, 2013

The Help, The Descendants, Winter's Bone, Live Flesh

The Help Well it is as good as the novel (that is not really a compliment). It is the sort of story you just know written to manipulate you and the film goes along with that line. I fell for it of course and cried my heart out.

The Descendants Now this one was better. I really like this director, Mr.Alexander Payne (loved his Sideways) and this one was very good. The thing I love was how well they showed Hawaii, not as a travel brochure but it seemed very close to how I saw and loved the place. Kudos. I didn't like George Clooney as the lead because I can't seem to warm up to the man for some reason. Also who'd believe that a person would choose Matthew Lilliard over George Clooney? It just didn't make sense. I think the film would have been better if Lilliard would be in the lead role and George Clooney in Lilliard's role. But I like the film and its ending very much.

Winter's Bone now this one was favorite among the films I have seen this weekend. It is a horrible story going on in a horrible world (among illegal drug manufacturers in rural Minnesota) but it is very well acted (Jennifer Lawrence made me like her in this role) and filmed. Everything looked real and I was very much into it. I liked this ending of this one too.

Live Flesh I think this is my third viewing and I just didn't like it as much. Now I love Francesca Neri because I think she is very naturally pretty and she is a decent actor too but she just didn't fit well into an Almodovar film. No wonder he never worked with her again. Same goes for Javier Bardem, he is a good actor but that role was not sympathetic.. I liked the secondary actors much better in this one and cannot honestly call it one of my favorite Almodovar films anymore.

Still reading Moll Flanders and she is still being naughty.

No comments:

Post a Comment