Monday, April 17, 2017

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny

Photo credit: www.hypable.com

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny never really attracted me (despite Netflix pushing it to my face from time to time) since it starred Donnie Yen, a very good action man but a terrible actor (evident in this film) but after The Four I have decided to give this a chance since I like Yuen Woo Ping's visuals (that clean cinematography) and YWP is a great fight director. Of course the original Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon by Ang Lee is one of my all time faves and I consider it a masterpiece. This one not so much first and foremost the story is fast paced and we never have time to focus on the characters and secondly Donnie Yen's performance is even worse than the younger leads' and those were pretty bad. In the original Michelle Yeoh shone together with Chow Yun Fat and Zhang Ziyi and even Chang Chen (an actor I don't really like) all of them very good. Here only Michelle Yeoh is both acting and martial art fighting on camera. She is amazing. But the rest of the cast are all horrible - lead in horribleness Donnie Yeni although again, he is good at martial arts but man that is not enough. Chow Yun Fat doesn't know martial arts but he made a much more believable and sympathetic martial art master. Anyway, I enjoyed this one but probably because I like the genre and Michelle Yeoh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment