Monday, February 15, 2016

Memories of The Sword

Photo credit: variety.com

Memories of the Sword is one of those melodramatic martial art films with beautiful cinematography (a la Chinese film Hero). Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon has started this I suppose but that is a superb film with a great script and wonderful action - so it may not be the included in this subgenre. The best film of that ilk would be Ashes of Time by Wong Kar Wai. Anyway this one is a novel attempt and in the end moved me to tears but only because I'm that sort of viewer. I knew that this one doesn't work but the performances were so good and the revenge so out of this world that I actually fell for the whole thing towards the end. Jeon Do Yeon is fantastic and Lee Byung Hun is wonderful and the younger two actors were decent too. It is not that good mostly due to that certain elusive film chemistry I suppose since the film doesn't do anything wrong. I'll recommend only if you like this sub genre. 

No comments:

Post a Comment