Monday, February 22, 2016

To Rome With Love

Photo credit: www.theatlantic.com

To Rome With Love -deep sigh- I like Woody Allen films. Even this one was interesting to me. I say "even" since he tried to cram everything including the kitchen sink (or shower stall) in it. There is the usual trope of betrayal, a muse who is not very bright and this time tries to act as if well read, neurotic men (this time 4 of them) and pretty and smart women. The most favorite storyline for me was the architect remembering years ago and a lost love in the streets of Rome (the past is told while his old self is right there giving advice to his younger self), one story involves a couple who gets separated due to circumstances and one falls with an actor while the other has to pretend that a prostitute is his wife. Another storyline is about a regular guy suddenly becoming a celebrity for no reason at all (this was my least favorite probably due to Roberto Benigni, an actor/director I can't like), and there is another one of two people meeting and falling in love and their parents meet and the father of the would be groom has a great opera voice which the father of the bride (Woody Allen), who is an opera producer, tries to put to good use. I can understand why this one is not as loved as Barcelona, Barcelona (which had only two stories) but I liked it an as with all Woody Allen films, engaged till the end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment