Friday, November 28, 2014

You From Another Star

You From Another Star The reason I chose this drama is that I love Jeon Ji Hyun. Ever since I saw her in My Sassy Girl she is a delight to me. She is not in many films or dramas though so when she appeared in this one I'd have gone for it even if it was not such a well liked drama with high ratings.

The reason for the ratings and the one who got all the awards is Kim Soo Hyun though, the male lead. He is loved by virtually everyone and causes ovaries to explode. But he doesn't do anything to me. Not because he is way younger than me since I like Lee Seung Gi and Jae Joong but this guy does not have that effect on me. His performance was not bad but he is not uber talented like Lee Byung Hun or Cha Seung Won. Anyway on to the show with loads of SPOILERS.


Do Min Joon (Kim Soo Hyun) is an alien who landed in Joseon era Korea and missed his ride back. So he has been living in the world for 400 years and now his kind will be back in 3 months. His only friend and manager of human affairs is Lawyer Jang (it reminded me a bit of Dracula)

Chun Song Yi is a S.Korean super star actress and commercial darling at the top of her career. She is not really into culture though and is known and laughed at for her ignorant remarks.

Do Min Joon has been in the earth forever and tried many professions astronomer, doctor, banker, lawyer and now he is a (albeit very young) professor. To his dismay Song Yi moves right next door to his lovely apartment. Now that they are neighbours, his quiet, undisturbed life is in caos since Song Yi gets drunk, has lots of reporters etc. following her and she is noisy (he, of course has super hearing).

The secondary guy is in love with Song Yi for 15 years but Song Yi only sees him as a friend and never actually gave him hope.

The secondary girl is also Song Yi's friend for 15 years and she is also an actress but she is nowhere near as successful as Song Yi and usually takes small parts in films and dramas Song Yi stars. This time she is in love with the secondary guy and she hides her pettiness behind a nice girl facade.

Our villain is secondary guy's elder brother who is a pyschopath. He kills Song Yi's rival in business and everyone assumes that the rival committed suicide because of Song Yi's bullying. Song Yi is now a disgraced celebrity whose career is in fast decline. Commercials are cancelled, projects shelved, they even removed her as the lead of the drama she is currently filming. All these go to secondary girl SeMi.

Anyway all in all this alien with super powers drama who is influenced heavily from Dracula, Twilight and towards the end Time Traveller's Wife, ended being only OK. I wonder if it is me of they don't make them as good anymore. Of course I kind of leaked tears towards the end but I can't say I felt the need/desire to marathon (which is the best indicator of how much one likes a drama).

All in all I'll recommend since the cast is good, it is entertaining and Jeon Ji Hyun is excellent in it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment