Monday, February 4, 2013

Ruler of Your Own World - End, I, Claudius - End, Detention, Flashdance

Well all weekend I just charged myself up and didn't even go to watch Django Unchained, despite the fact that I was very eager for it to be released here.

Instead I watched Grey's Anatomy (not a good episode), The Good Wife (good episode) and Scandal (great episode) and various old Big Bang Theory episodes and a couple of Entourage episodes.

I have managed to squeeze in a couple of films

Detention I have no idea why I watched this one. I was expecting some sort of a horror film but it was one of those smartass satire types of films. I should have stopped watching it.

Flashdance well a flash from the past, I remember loving this when I was a kid (and I didn't understand any of the plot etc.) it was suprising that I still liked it most probably due to nostalgia.

I have finished I, Claudius and now very curious about Roman history. I'm thinking of slowly delving into it. Its scope is very wide and I have never been a history buff.

And I have started Ruth Rendell's Live Flesh which turned out to be one of those books you can't let go. I was almost going to go past the lunch break, it was that exciting.
I have watched and liked Live Flesh the film by Almodovar which is an adaptation -rare for Almodovar - of this novel but so far it is more of a reimagining than adaptation. Let's see futher into the novel whether there are more similarities or not.

Now I remember Chabrol's La Cérémonie being a very good adaptation of Rendell's A Judgement in Stone and a French film called Bridesmaid which was a great adaptation and now that I have checked imdb for accuracy I have found out that this is also a film directed by Claude Chabrol and the French title is "
La demoiselle d'honneur" looks like Mr.Chabrol is doing good work with Ms.Rendell's novels. 

I'm not really sure what to watch tonight. Maybe I'll give those long unwatched HK films a try. It is interesting -to me - how quickly my love for HK films died as the local cinema gradually and inevitably (since SAR is now under Chinese rule and will completely become Chine in 2046 + the Chinese market is lucrative) turns into Chinese. The only film I'm eagerly waiting to watch is The Grandmaster which got lukewarm reviews.

The Ruler of Your Own World ended nicely. But it kind of dragged at the later episodes. Despite the fact that I liked this couple and rooted for them, I didn't see any point in watching them being cute for 3-4 episodes. At least it was a happy ending. 

No comments:

Post a Comment