Thursday, September 10, 2015

Tokyo Fiancée

Photo credit: valeursactuelles.com

Tokyo Fiancé tells the story of a Belgian woman who loves Japanese culture and decides to live in Japan teaching French. She inevitable meets with a Japanese man and they fall in love. However things are not as rosy as I one would want them to be.

I know the psychology of loving another culture. I have been there more than once. The story is adapted from a novel by Amelié Nothomb, who actually wrote about her experiences (and exposes the many negative sides of Japanese culture, I have read one of her novels - Fear and Trembling- in which she was subject to the many hardships of Japanese corporate culture. I didn't think she was exagerating.

All in all it is a cute film but one that wouldn't make any difference in anyone's life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment