Monday, October 21, 2013

From Japan Trip

World War Z  It was intense and watchable but ultimately not my kind of film.

Heat this was not a good one but for some reason I enjoyed it a lot.

A Beautiful Life it is one of those films whose sole purpose is to make you cry. Two great performances (Shu Qi and Lu Ye) wasted in this cry fest (but not in a good way if you know what I mean)

R.I.P.D  Normally this would not be a film I'd visit a theatre to watch but it was the only one in the hour available and I really wanted to watch another film in Japan. The film was forgettable but the experience was not :)

Man of Steel Despite its great visuals and handsome looking leads, this film was not a good one. Weak script and the fact that not all of the elements gelled together in it. And also Diane Lane is too young to play that role.

Life of Pi the book was way better as it usually is but I did like the film. The visuals were very very impressive and more importantly blended perfectly with the story.

I couldn't finish The Silent War since the plane has landed but sadly this is not a good film either. The point they were trying to make seemed more important than telling a story or getting a decent editor. Tony and Zhao Xun were both excellent but even if they gave the best performances in the world, it wouldn't have saved this film (I feel a bit bad writing about it since I have not completed it but left a final 10 minutes or something).

In the Woods I liked this one very much. Great pyschological suspense and the way it ended was interesting. I'll be seeking more from this author.

Revenge Wears Prada unfortunately this happened to be the only English novel I have not read in that small "books in English" section in Kyoto so I bought it and read it. It was nowhere as good as the first one (and come to think of it, none of her other books were).

And on my return:

You'll Meet a Tall Dark Stranger I love Woody Allen, and I like this film too. It is not one of his best but a lot better than a lot of other films in the world.

Dan in Real Life Only watched this because I didn't want to fall asleep (I never experience jet lag but it is always easy to fall asleep while watching tv). It was ok I suppose but I'm not enamoured with Steve Carell (yet I have seen a lot of films starring him!!!) but Juliette Binoche was a darling as she usually is.

started

Rising Sun I remember watching this film long ago and liking it but cannot remember how it ended. Now I'm reading the book and it started very good. Mr.Chrichton is a good writer and this one is turning out to be a decent airport novel (which fittingly I have purchased at the airport)




No comments:

Post a Comment