Sunday, March 23, 2014

The Mission

The Mission is one of the highly acclaimed films liked by everyone and for some reason I have never seen. Well it is not really my type of film but I have recorded it none the less and here I was giving it a try. And to no surprise, I liked it. 

First of, this is not the type of film I usually like, not many close ups (except to the faces of South American actors from time to time), not the clean type of cinematography I like and certainly not an actors' film. Sure the performances were all good (Robert De Niro and Jeremy Irons were perfect) but it wouldn't have mattered if they are not excellent. 

The bitter consequences of imperialism (on the invaded parties) and how the lines are not really blurred between doing God's work and using religion to serve capitalism are vell displayed in the story. Also there is a very good side story of sin and redemption. 

And even though father Rodrigo was the more interesting character, I have to say I felt closer to Father Gabriel. 

The music was so so good (Ennio Morricone) and many tears were shed (by me) during the film. 


Also this film brought to mind Aguirre: The Wrath of God, which I think is not only cinematically superior, but more to my liking as well. I wanted to watch that one again. 


No comments:

Post a Comment