Wednesday, May 26, 2010

War And Peace (The Film) I

War And Peace (1967) Directed by Sergei Bondarchuk, written by Sergei Bondarchuk and Vasili Solovyov, adapted from Leo Tolstoy's novel with the same title.

I didn't like the parts I have watched so far. The print is washed out, the actors look old and they don't really act that good and it has none of the vibrancy of the novel. So far I only liked Papa Bolkonsky and Princess Maria. One of my favorite literary heroes Andrei Bolkonsky is not well represented. Anyhow I plan to finish it purely for the story. The war scenes were not that bad but they are not that good either and I felt sorry for the horses (some of them died during filming if the dvd excerpt should be believed) The songs were the only things I really liked.

Thank God for The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets' Nest since it is going really well.

No comments:

Post a Comment