Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Closer, Six Suspects - End, Ali ile Ramazan

Closer (2004) Directed by Mike Nicholls, written by Patrik Marber (from his own play).
I don't know how many times I have seen this film but I like it just the same each time. It is not hard to wonder why though since I love Natalie Portman and Julia Roberts, think Clive Owen a brilliant actor and both he and Jude Law are very easy on the eyes.
Lots of close up shots of the actors, everyone looking really natural (no botox or such enhancements) it is a good film about relationships and breakups.

I have finished Six Suspects, enjoyed it very much and started Ali ile Ramazan (can be translated as 'Ali with Ramazan' I suppose) It tells the story of two men who grew up at an orphanage (one of them sexually abused by the director, the other witnessed his mother killing his father and then commit suicide). Written by one of my favorite novelists Perihan Magden, this novel is good but certainly not a very enjoyable read. And not because of the profanity or the sex scenes but because it is so sad. Our pov is Ramazan who is a whore but he loves his boyfriend very much and tries a way out. Ali is more damaged, addicted to paint thinner and whatever pill he can get his hands on, he is slowly giving up hanging on to life despite the fact that he loves Ramazan just as much. It is a very sad tale and I know that it will not end well since this is fiction based on real life. Ms. Magden read the story on page three of the newspaper and decided to write a novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment