Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Narcos: Mexico

Photo credit: www.imdb.com

Narcos: Mexico did not really interest me initially. I started it because there was not nothing else interesting at the moment and I wanted to watch something in Spanish to improve my languae skills. I left the first episode in the middle and did not return back for quite some time. I realised it was very similar to The Power of the Dog (novel) and I liked that one very much and I did not want to see characters that looked very different from the ones I imagined in the novel. And then I watched Diego Luna in The Daily Show; he sounded intelligent and passionate and the things he said made sense to me. So I started to watch it again and slowly I was sucked into it and then binge watched yesterday. The story is very similar to The Power of The Dog because I now see that Mr. Winslow is inspired by the real events (but turned them into great fiction). And I'm probably the only one who liked Diego Luna over Gael Garcia Bernal in Y Tu Mama Tambien. And Mr. Luna is very very good here (sometimes chanelling Al Pacino in The Godfather). I liked the secondary characters too. The only weak link as far as I'm concerned it Michael Peña. I like him, I do. He is a decent actor and he actually resembles the guy he is portraying. But for some reason he didn't fit. Narcos: Mexico has another major problem with the script not being that good, but all in all I really liked it in the end. And can safely recommend if you are not averse to watching sex, violence and drugs on screen (but if so you wouldn't be interested in a show called Narcos no?)

As far as Spanish improvement is concerned this one was not a success on my behalf. The Mexican accent was different and they were talking so fast. I understood some of it but very little. I would be lost without the subtitles.

No comments:

Post a Comment