Friday, October 27, 2017

Beatriz At Dinner

Photo credit: www.imdb.com

Beatriz At Dinner is yet another film I feel lucky to watch, and on a plane too (not the usual choice of entertainment I suppose). The film tells the story of a new age activitist message therapist and healer who is in mourning to attend a very upscale dinner where a bargain is celebrated and instructions are given on how to proceed to build while relockating the birds that nest at the area. Beatriz feels bad about it and maybe normally she'd just shut up, enjoy the meal and drinks and recall this later bitterly. But at this dinner (and during after drinks) she doesn't. She speaks her mind despite the condesention and mocking of the guest of honour (a very rich developer) she comes and goes between getting angrier and angrier but also she is a kind person at heart and obviously it is not easy for her to hurt someone (a trait I wish I carry instead of hurting people and suffering from remorse afterwards). I loved it to bits. Not only the cast is fantastic but also they all give great performances and Salma Hayek truly shines. Now I admire Ms. Hayek in real life (she is very smart and obviously likes acting) but I never cared for any of her performances (yes I do love Fools Rush In but I'd have still loved it if it was another actress). So far I liked her best in Tale of Tales but she is wonderful in this film. Her natural beauty accentuated with age (as it should be) is very gentle on the eye but her performance, the nuances in acting and toning (in real life she is actually a lot richer than all of the cast combined I suppose) and her wonderful back and forth with John Lithgow (another very good actor but Salma is better in this one). I LOVED it. Highly recommended. 

No comments:

Post a Comment