Monday, January 15, 2018

Underground Railroad

Underground Railroad is a novel purchased solely based on positive reviews. It didn't interest me but it was on discount and I thought why not? I'm very happy that I did because not only this novel is great storytelling, it has a distinct prose as well. The kind of prose most appeals to me, making it look easy but you are aware of the mastery and talent while reading and just this single fact causes shivers. The story was harrowing. Any form of slavery, but especially the kind practised in USA, makes me ashamed of being human whenever I encounter it. This book was like a slap in the face. The most horrific part of it is though the fact these and many more atrocities were committed against human beings in real life. As a person who can read almost any kind of horror fiction - apparently my limit is 120 Days of Sodom by De Sade (I have read all his other novels btw) however I can't read true crime novels of atrocities of war (Ann Rule's novel about Green River killer and another novel about Nanking Massacre was left unread after a few pages in). This novel made me keep reading and flinching but at the same time giving me the best of pleasures, the literary one. It is one of those novels where in the end I want to thank the writer in person, shake their hand, expressing my gratitude. Highly recommended. 

No comments:

Post a Comment