Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Clouds of Sils Maria

Photo credit: http://www.strictlyrobsten.com

Clouds of Sils Maria was on TV as a part of their Cannes Week. The only other Assayas film I have watched was Clean and that was only because Maggie Cheung starred in it while I was in my HK film phase.

This one I chose because the plot seemed interesting and I like Juliette Binoche and Kirsten Stewart. The film tells the story of an over 40 actress who decides to accept the role she played opposite when she was in her early twenties. This decision comes after the writer of the play (and friend to the actress passed away) Her assistant is a smart girl who likes films and theater and we get to see glimpses of their lives (photo shoots, discussions with directors etc., getting ready for a role). The actress, Maria, suffers a bit with the role (due to more than one reason) and she is in the middle of a messy divorce. I liked the three parter story telling and the characters and the underlying sexual tensions between Maria and her assistant. Chole Grace Moretz plays the younger actress who will play the role Maria played years ago. I can't seem to like this woman no matter what. She is not a bad actress but there is something about her.... Anyway I never liked Scarlett Johansson either and now I love her so I hope that I'll change my mind in the future.

This one is not a short film but I didn't want it to end. Great performance by Juliette Binoche (but then again she is always gives great performances). 

No comments:

Post a Comment