Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Karei naru Ichizoku - Eps 1-5

I have started this Japanese drama Karei naru Ichizoku (The Wealthy Family) only because I'm very fond of Takuya Kimura and am suprised this is a rather large production, period drama with many actors in the cast.
I have of course guessed the horrible secret (stayed away from spoilers but I think Teppei's maternal grandfather is actually his father - incest in the family). Manpyo family is not really very happy or morally sound. Daddy Manpyo's mistress lives in the same house and sometimes they even have a threesome. The elder sister is married to an opportunist who doesn't have any scruples, the younger brother is a man resigned to his fate (with an ever present cigarette in his hand, this character can actually work in advertisements to quit smoking), younger sister is in love with someone who is beneath her social standing (well I think the poor thing deserves a good man and a decent family despite not being as rich) and Teppei, our hero, is a decent human being who had to give up his only love due to the Mistress machinations and only found this fact after seven years. He married according to his connections and to benefit his family but he is a loving husband and father nevertheless. I actually do not like the female actor who plays his wife (the same one who was in Boku Dake Madonna or something) but thankfully she is not a prominent character in this rather large cast. Teppei, an engineer who can actually invent stuff wants to advance his grandfather's steel company that is a significant part of Manpyo Conglomarate. Daddy Manpyo cares most about the bank though and is not above hurting and backstabbning people to make the bank survive from a post war financial reconstruction. Well that big secret is pretty easy to guess (well I'm hoping I'm not wrong, the grandpa in oil paintings is an old version Kimu Taku and the family is so degenerate) but I do want Teppei to succeed since he is very loyal and honest. Kimura is excellent in here. Every facial expression spot on and his eyes speak volumes. I also love his voice.

Meanwhile Middlemarch suddenly became interesting halfway - there is blackmail, disgusting secrets, marriage troubles due to selfishness of one party (that Rosamund is so stupid, Lydgate made a mistake by marrying him) and star crossed lovers. I do like Dorothea - I think I'm meant to-. George Elliot is no Jane Austen but the book ceased to be boring now and even though I'll not seek more of her books in near future, I'm happier with this one now.

No comments:

Post a Comment