Tuesday, October 18, 2016

The Way of Shadows


The Way of Shadows This is kind of hard because I think the writer is a very nice person (yes I have read the 'acknowledgements' section, I always to) and he has great ideas and story telling skills. However this is not a good book for the simple reason that it didn't have a good editor. The story telling is good, it is fast and furious with lots and lots happening but it is not possible to care for the characters since not a lot of time is spend on their thoughts and reasons for their actions. Now if this was a story telling choice I'd have no problem, while not my preference, I respect it and sometimes it works. However in this book these are thrown in a haphazard manner and without any depth to them. 

There are twists etc. but after some time they became almost a pattern.

Too bad this novel ended up like that since I think one could get a decent trilogy from that novel alone with good editing and better guidance.

No comments:

Post a Comment